IOWater provides assistance to the “Algérienne des Eaux” (ADE) for reinforcing its HRD modernisation process.
The ADE, created by the decree of 21 April 2001 and under the supervision of the Ministry of Water Resources (MRE), is a national State corporation with commercial and industrial management, legal entity and with financial autonomy.
The ADE is now finalising the integration of the staffs coming from the former National Drinking and Industrial Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (AGEP), the 9 national water production and supply companies, the 26 wilaya authorities managing 258 municipalities (EPDEMIA), and the 932 municipal public corporations.
The ADE staff should reach 22,000 people to cover the whole Algerian territory according to a geographical organisation, which consists in 5 main Regions ( Algiers , Oran , Constantine , Ouargla and Chlef), 16 zones and 49 units.
With this objective in mind, the ADE Management Board is initiating an ambitious capacity building programme for its staff, which will rely on the resources of three Training Centres :
- • 2 Training Centres (Constantine and Oran), focusing on the Management of water utilities ; the Training Centre and the Operational Dialling Centre (CATO) in Constantine were inaugurated in September 2004,
- • 1 Training Centre for Technical Professions, which will be created in Algiers with Belgian/ “Algérienne des Eaux” co-financing.
IOWater provides assistance with the implementation of this training plan.
Human resources management and training of trainers
In the 2003 programme, the following activities were carried out :
- • a study tour of the "ADE" General Management in France for them to be presented the activities, organisation and resources of the National Training Centre for Water Professions in Limoges and La Souterraine (industrial treatment units, technical and educational halls, unit for practical training) and a technical meeting (in Paris) to analyse the prospects and priorities of a French-Algerian co-operation ;
- • a 2-week training course in France for 8 Algerian executives (Regional DRHs of ADE) concerned with the issue of human resource management and dealing with the definition of a methodology suited to "ADE" for preparing references on jobs, skills and training. The definitions and terminology, the identification of needs, the conception and validation of programmes were studied and applied to a case study for each of these three frames of reference.
Specialised training programme for trainers
The following tasks were carried out in the 2003 programme :
- • Immersion of the Algerian trainees into the operational bodies of large French groups, dealing with water, during two weeks ;
- • Acquisition of the methodology needed for implementing training activities : this 2-week programme dealt with pedagogy per objective, the determination of training needs (methodology, surveys, etc.), the organisation of training activities, of individual practical courses on the design, preparation and management of a training course.
- • Facing reality in Training Centres for Water Professions : the aim of this 2-week step was that the Algerian trainees face the reality of their trainer job. It took place in two French training centres, those of the SAUR and IOWater.
- • Follow-up and evaluation in Algeria . At the end of the previous step, it was proposed that the "instructor trainees" face real situations on their own during several weeks in Algeria .
Once completed this period of "in-situ integration" of the knowledge gained during the training programme for trainers in France , two experts (SAUR and IOWater) went to Algeria (a 1-week period each) for "coaching-advising" the Algerian trainers.
Within the framework of the 2004 Algerian-French Bilateral programme, the technical assistance provided by the International Office for Water to the “Algérienne des Eaux” (ADE) includes 4 main components :
- Training in Algeria of a group of about 20 executives from ADE and the MRE on the techniques of desalination of sea waters and the operation of desalination units.
- Training of about 16 technical executives of ADE through their immersion in various French water utilities.
- A training course for 20 Algerian executives on Performance Indicators for water utilities as a support to the process of ADE modernisation.
- A technical and educational assistance for the creation of a Training Centre for Water Professions.
Within the framework of the French-Algerian bilateral co-operation programme for 2005, the following activities were carried out :
- Training of commercial executives on the "CATO" system (Operational Dialling Centre), implemented with the Water Company of Marseilles (SEM).
- Assistance to the creation of a National Training Centre for Water Professions, in order to define the technical and educational specifications of the future Algiers Centre which is mainly designed for Technical Training, whereas the Oran and Constantine Centres will focus more on Managerial Training.