The Twinning RO2000/OB-EN 01 dealt with the development of a strategy for compliance with the European environmental legislation, with particular reference to financing mechanisms. Its objectives were :
• Preparation of an integrated financial strategy for comparison with the acquired knowledge on the environment
• Approval and implementation of this strategy.
The strategy included :
• A programme for transposing and implementing the 9 most costly directives regarding the following sectors : water, air, wastes and control of industrial pollution,
• Preliminary cost estimate and financial requirements for implementing these directives,
• Proposals for legislative and/or regulatory texts for the set up and operating of economic instruments.
Short-term assignments of experts on the following components :
• the “water" component ;
• institutional issues in the water sector ;
• directive 98/83.