The Northwest Irrigation Sector Project has been designed to help reduce poverty in the poor and neglected rural areas of Northwestern Cambodia by developing irrigated agriculture while tackling with :
- Institutional strengthening and policy formulation ;
- Water management and irrigation engineering ;
- Water community organization.
The project has adopted an integrated approach to irrigation development, identifying, selecting schemes with the use of an integrated water resources management (IWRM) approach in a river basin context and then rehabilitating them.
IOWater experts provided technical assistance in :
- Assisting the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology (MOWRAM) in defining its IWRM policy, including approach, methods and tools for its implementation ;
- Assisting MOWRAM in preparing and fine tuning the legal and institutional framework required for implementing the IWRM strategy ;
- Training MOWRAM and PDOWRAM staff in developing the IWRM approach ;
- Assisting MOWRAM in supervising and reviewing the river basin water use studies and in establishing the river basin committees, as well as proposing the river basin management system and planning tools for water resources management ;
- Assisting MOWRAM in the coordination of relevant RBOs ;
- Assisting MOWRAM in preparing inter-ministry working sessions and donor forum for aspects related to IWRM and RBOs.